Friday, July 17, 2009

Statement on Non-Traditional Casting

In the case of To Kill a Mockingbird, I believe that casting has to be taken very deliberately. This play is one that makes a statement about race, so I believe that the roles are to be cast as stated in the script, i.e. if it calls for Reverend Sykes or Tom Robinson to be black, they need to be cast black. To switch race in any role, would confuse the audience and change the meaning of the play.

Age is also important to take into consideration. The kids need to be believable as kids. Scout is very young in the show at about 6-7 years old and Jem is only a few years older. I want the innocence of Scout to be able to be seen as well as interpreted from her lines. Mayella is older, in her late teens, and I want the audience not to think she is very close in age to Scout or Jem. If she can be compared to them in that way it changes the rape charges into pedophile like charges. The rest of the cast is much older and does not in my opinion need to be cast like the children do. It is easier to age late 20 to 30 year olds into much older roles than to make them back into young children.

Casting differently with gender is one that I would do only if the actor can be extremely believable. But I would not do it with every role. I liked the idea that Dave talked about in class when a school used a girl for the role of Tom, I think that can be done when executed correctly by the actress. It would, however, be not wise to cast a female as Atticus or Bob Ewell for example. If there is a cross casting of gender, I do want the audience to not realize it in the slightest, so I would not recommend it overall.

Casting handicap people would be a challenge. I do think that someone with physical handicaps would have a shot in the role of Tom Robinson as his character has a handicap in the show from his arm getting caught in a cotton gin. So someone with a handicap of that nature or even more could bring a lot to that character, as long as they still have the physical capability to “attack” a girl, so there can still be a question if he did commit the crime or not. Other than that, I believe a lot of the characters have openness to handicaps, such as the older neighbors. I would not recommend casting deaf people in any role besides Boo, as he does not speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment